Before returning to Pittsburgh, Jeremy spent a decade in Washington, DC as a federal prosecutor and practicing at a large international law firm, Steptoe & Johnson LLP. During his time in DC, Jeremy represented clients in some of the largest and most complex matters in the country, including government and internal investigations, contract disputes, civil litigation, malpractice, and copyright infringement claims. In 2017, Jeremy returned to Pittsburgh where he puts his experience to use representing local and out-of-state clients.
A selection of Jeremy’s experience includes:
- Employment Litigation. Jeremy has successfully defended one of the largest employers in Pittsburgh in employment litigation disputes involving claims of due process, discrimination, and breach of contract, obtaining multiple early dismissals and a federal jury verdict for his client.
- Contract Disputes. Jeremy has represented clients in dozens of contract negotiations and disputes ranging from thousands to hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Tax Strategy Litigation. Jeremy has litigated over a dozen lawsuits involving high-wealth tax strategies with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake and parallel IRS investigations and criminal proceedings.
- Federal Copyright Infringement and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Jeremy was one of the lead attorneys in a closely followed and first-of-its-kind secondary copyright infringement case against an internet service provider in federal district court, BMG Rights Management (US) LLC v. Cox Communications. Jeremy and the rest of the trial team obtained a $25 million jury verdict and attorneys’ fees. The case is viewed as a landmark case concerning the applicability of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act’s safe harbor.
- Insurance Coverage. Jeremy has successfully litigated multi-million dollar insurance coverage disputes against insurers.
- Telecom Litigation. Jeremy represents domestic and international telecommunications providers in contract disputes and litigation in state and federal courts and arbitration. He has substantial experience litigating service agreements, SLAs, latency guarantees, purchase agreements, broadband and satellite services, and spectrum agreements. Jeremy has obtained substantial jury verdicts and dismissals on behalf of his telecom clients.
- Securities Litigation and Investigations. Jeremy has litigated both private and SEC securities claims, including a significant SEC enforcement action in connection with the merger between Time Warner and AOL involving hundreds of millions of dollars of reported internet advertising revenue. Jeremy has also represented clients for SEC investigations.
- Counterfeit Electronic Parts. Jeremy successfully petitioned the United States to overturn a government contract suspension for his client, a supplier of electronic parts.
- Insurance Coverage. Jeremy successfully obtained dismissal of a claim in federal court seeking $20 million in insurance coverage.
- The “Rocket Docket.” Jeremy is admitted to and regularly practices in the District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, the country’s fastest federal district court, which almost always sets trials in less than a year and has a unique set of procedural rules.
- Hospitality. With a degree in hotel and restaurant management and having worked for years in hospitality management, Jeremy has represented hotel and food and beverage industry clients in litigation and contract disputes.
In his pro bono practice, Jeremy represented a client in post-conviction relief after the client was sentenced to Delaware’s death row. Jeremy successfully argued to the Delaware Supreme Court that his client’s conviction should be overturned and subsequently negotiated an agreement with the prosecutors that resulted in the almost immediate release of his client from Delaware prison.
Jeremy graduated from Washington & Lee School of Law in 2006, where he was an editor on the Law Review. He earned a B.S. Degree from Indiana University of Pennsylvania in Hotel, Restaurant, and Institution Management in 1999 and studied Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology at the University of Colorado at Boulder from 2001-2002. Jeremy spent several years in hospitality management prior to attending law school.
- Business Disputes & Litigation
- Corporate & Transactional Law
- Employment Litigation
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP, Washington, D.C.
- United States Department of Justice (tax division), Washington, D.C.
- Washington & Lee School of Law, J.D., 2006
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania, B.S., 1999