Matt Mazgaj is the firm’s resident New Yorker, residing near beautiful Chautauqua Lake on a hobby farm with his wife and four children.
Matt is a “big law” trained litigator who has experience with all phases of litigation from preliminary negotiations, filing complaints in state and federal court, alternative dispute resolution, discovery and depositions, all the way through jury and bench trials, and post-trial briefing.
Despite his litigation focus, Matt also works with individuals, companies, banks and governmental entities on a range of labor and employment and transactional deals.
Matt stays busy outside of working hours by spending time with his young children on the farm. The goats, chickens, steer, dogs, rabbits, and ducks all provide his energetic kids unending opportunities for fun, education and entertainment.
In re National Prescription Opiate Litigation (N.D. Ohio 2021)
- Member of Giant Eagle’s trial team. Active defense of Giant Eagle through four weeks of trial resulted in a favorable client settlement.
Great West v. Riser Foods, Inc. (N.D. Ohio 2019)
- Drafted successful summary judgment brief for defendant Riser Foods, defeating multi-million dollar breach of contract claim.
BMG Rights Mgmt. (US) LLC v. Cox Communications., Inc. (E.D. Va. 2015)
- Member of plaintiff trial team that pursued DMCA claims against internet service provider for permitting customers’ copyright infringement and secured jury verdict award for $25 million (ultimately remanded on appeal).
GTT v. Artel (Va. State Ct. 2013)
- Member of defense trial team, successfully defended against 29 plaintiff claims, prevailed on fraud and contract counterclaims, awarded punitive damages and 95% of requested attorneys’ fees.
- Business Disputes & Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate & Transactional Law
- Employment Litigation
- Insurance Coverage
- New York
- Washington, D.C.
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- Phillips Lytle, LLP, Buffalo & Jamestown, New York
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP, Washington, D.C.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
- Washington & Jefferson College, B.A.