Daniel Stuart provides effective and efficient strategic advice. He is prepared and pragmatic, and offers clear, timely, and prudent counsel. He can mobilize on a moment’s notice, and his sole focus is on obtaining the best result for his clients.
Dan concentrates his practice on helping people and businesses solve problems. His areas of practice include commercial litigation, trust litigation, real estate and land use, corporate counseling, contract negotiation and drafting, and employment disputes. Dan represents both plaintiffs and defendants in courtrooms and administrative proceedings across many industries, including sports and entertainment, retail, fashion, technology, consumer products, national defense, casino, and energy. He also regularly handles land use and real estate matters, from negotiating and drafting commercial leases to high-stakes zoning battles. Dan also serves as a mediator for commercial disputes.
Prior to joining Marcus & Shapira in 2015, Dan worked for prestigious multinational law firms in Washington, D.C. and New York City. Dan served as an Adjunct Professor of Scholarly Writing at The George Washington University Law School, and has also worked for The Honorable Richard J. Leon and The Honorable Ellen S. Huvelle of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
Dan was born and raised in Pittsburgh and earned a Global and Strategic Business Management degree from Penn State University. Dan graduated Order of the Coif from The George Washington University Law School, where he was a member of the Law Review and Moot Court Board. Dan lives in Shadyside with his wife and their three kids.
- Business Disputes & Litigation
- Appellate Litigation
- Trust & Estate Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Arbitration & Mediation
- Partnership Disputes
- Real Estate and Land Use
- Strategic Corporate Counseling
- Contract Disputes
- False Advertising & Unfair Competition Litigation
- Washington, D.C.
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- Venable LLP, New York
- Arnold & Porter LLP, Washington, D.C.
- George Washington University Law School, J.D., 2009
- Penn State University, Global and Strategic Business Management with highest distinction, 2006
- Successful representation of GetGo in opposing proposed reversal of oil pipeline at both the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
- Defended Giant Eagle pharmacies in national Opioids litigation, the largest multidistrict litigation in U.S. history, through and including at trial;
- Ongoing defense of Giant Eagle in wide-ranging litigation brought by independent retailers alleging federal and state law claims;
- Favorable settlement of claims on behalf of Hollywood film producers against distribution company arising from breach of distribution agreement;
- Full dismissal of class action complaint alleging unfair trade practices, breach of contract, and unjust enrichment against a regional grocery store chain.
- Ongoing representation of estate of trust beneficiary in litigation involving a trust worth over $600 million;
- Ongoing representation of trustees of charitable trust in dispute with multinational bank relating to issues of Grantor intent, which included successfully overturning trial court decision on appeal.
- Ongoing representation of state university in employment and other matters, including litigation and internal investigations;
- Favorable resolution on behalf of insurer in dispute over high-level executive’s non-compete and non-solicitation agreement.
Land Use and Real Estate Matters
- Successful representation of local residents in opposing development of a new hospital on residentially-zoned property;
- Obtained judgment against sublessee relating to termination of sublease, with decision affirmed by the Third Circuit;
- Represent technology company in leasing and related real-estate matters.