Paul has a dynamic practice representing a wide array of clients, with a focus on trying complex commercial cases. Paul has litigated a large number of construction disputes, representing engineers, architects, contractors, and owners in lawsuits arising from a diverse assortment of construction projects. Paul also has extensive experience in handling a variety of commercial litigation, intellectual property disputes, products liability cases, professional malpractice claims, antitrust litigation, trucking and personal injury lawsuits. Paul has defended and prosecuted cases in all stages of litigation in federal and state courts in both Pennsylvania and West Virginia, as well as many arbitration proceedings.
- Achieving a defense verdict on behalf of a French corporation following a three-week trial in the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, where the plaintiff sued for breach of warranties and negligent misrepresentation, claiming several million dollars in damages due to allegedly defective chemical valves used in the railroad industry;
- Successfully litigating a contract claim on behalf of a vendor against a large international corporation resulting in a multi-million dollar recovery for his client and a defense verdict on the claims filed by the adverse party following a four-week International Centre for Dispute Resolution Arbitration proceeding;
- Obtaining a substantial award for breach of contract damages, as well as penalties, interest, and attorney fees for bad faith under the Pennsylvania Prompt Payment Act on behalf of a plumbing contractor in an action against a school district for a breach of contract claims filed with the American Arbitration Association (AAA);
- Successfully prosecuting a malpractice claim against an investment and tax advisory firm on behalf of a former CEO related to the overpayment of millions of dollars in federal income taxes and obtaining a significant award for compensatory damages and attorney fees in a CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution Arbitration proceeding;
- Obtaining a defense verdict following a three-week trial on behalf of an engineer sued by a surety company for over $5 million in additional costs and delay damages based on various theories of liability, including fraud, negligent misrepresentation, and civil conspiracy;
- Procuring a defense award at an AAA arbitration hearing for an architect sued by a contractor for millions of dollars on allegations of bad faith withholdings and faulty designs in the context of a high school athletic facilities project;
- Defending a local municipal authority against claims filed for over $3 million by a contractor claiming additional costs for unforeseen conditions and cardinal change delay damages arising out of sanitary sewer project and litigated over the course of a three-week AAA arbitration hearing;
- Successfully trying a multitude of jury trials in Pennsylvania state courts and obtaining defense verdicts for corporate and individual clients in personal injury cases.
Along with his litigation practice, Paul has represented clients in a diverse range of transactional matters and acts as outside general counsel for local companies. Paul has counseled corporate clients on risk management issues, including the drafting and reviewing of contracts; and evaluating the application of state and federal agency regulations to business operations and projects. He has also provided legal guidance and representation in both residential and commercial real estate transactions for both individuals and corporate clients, including transactions and agreements related to oil and gas operations in Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Paul also has experience with insurance matters, including coverage analysis, bad faith claims, and declaratory judgment actions. Paul was also heavily involved with the defense team, representing one of six pharmacy defendants in landmark national prescription opiate litigation which proceeded to trial in September of 2021.
Paul was born and raised in Western Pennsylvania and earned an economics degree from Bucknell University and graduated from the University of Pittsburgh Law School. Paul lives in Upper St. Clair with his wife, Moira, and their three children.
- Construction Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Insurance Coverage Disputes
- Outside General Counsel
- Real Estate
- West Virginia
- University of Pittsburgh, School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1995
- Bucknell University, 1991